Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"Daddy Day Care" for daddies

There are several movies that I can watch repeatedly with no problem (much to Gail's chagrin).  Some of these repeatable flicks are:  princess bride, rat race, most ah-nold flicks, ocean's eleven (soderbergh version), parenthood, and daddy day care (there are more but that's a short and diverse list).
While I come to love Orion more and more each day (sort of what Jack Nicholson said to Helen Hunt:  how the people we can't stand become the people we can't live without), I still have feelings and thoughts of inadequacy, legitimacy in being a daddy.  As I become aware of these thoughts and feelings, I realized it's important for me, and for my relationship with Gail and Orion, to write them--sort of as my therapy and awareness of how to "be a better dad (again. paraphrasing Jack).
But it also occurs to me that I must not be the only dad who has these feelings and thoughts.  There are challenges every day in different forms whether you are a bio-parent, adoptive parent, or trans-racial adoptive parent. 
I would welcome thoughts, feelings, and comments from anyone--parent, friend, family--as we share and continue this journey.  Perhaps, it can, encourage Daddy Day Care groups (with or without kids) for daddies to talk amongst themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment